Summer College Internship Program
Each summer, the American Independence Museum hosts college interns who are currently pursuing undergraduate degrees in history, education, museum studies or related subjects. Working closely with museum staff and volunteers, the interns have the opportunity to learn how museums work on a day-to-day basis.
Recent College Intern Projects
- Assisting in the planning and execution of our Colonial Living History & Junior Historian summer programs
- Organizing our archives collection
- Planning our Purple Heart Day History Day event
- Building our Library Membership program
For the summer 2017, interns are once again sought to work at the American Independence Museum. The internships will provide a solid introduction to museum work, with emphasis on:
- Developing and executing educational programs
- Cataloguing and researching our museum collection
- Day-to-day museum operations including events and museum shop
- Supporting fundraising efforts and enriching our social media presence
Additionally, all interns will learn to give tours of the museum and be responsible for a research project, which will be presented at the conclusion of the internship.
The intern will set his/her own schedule, which will consist of two days a week (14 hours a week total). The schedule must include Wednesdays and one other day of the intern’s choosing during the week (Thursday – Saturday, 9:00am – 4:00pm). With his/her schedule, the intern should be flexible and available during select holidays and weekends. Intern must be available during the American Independence Festival on July 15, 2017.
The duration of the internship is 10-12 weeks, with an anticipated start date of May 24, 2017. Interns who can begin earlier than May 24th are welcome to do so. Those who are interested in the Education Department and would like to take a more active role in assisting with school programs are encouraged to begin earlier as well.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references to email@example.com by March 10, 2017.
Although the position is unpaid, this is an exciting opportunity to be involved in a Museum in transition.