What do you know about those who signed the Declaration of Independence!?
There were 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence
Did you know that eight of the Signers were not born in America?
One of the Signers recanted his support of the Declaration of Independence.
- Button Gwinnett (GA): Gloucester, England
- Francis Lewis (NY): Llandaff, Wales
- Robert Morris (PA): Liverpool, England
- James Smith (PA): Northern Ireland
- George Taylor (PA): Ireland
- Matthew Thornton (NH): Ireland
- James Wilson (PA): Carskerdo, Scotland
- John Witherspoon (NJ): Gifford, Scotland
Richard Stockton from New Jersey was the only signer who recanted his support of the Revolution… though not necessarily of his own free will. Stockton was captured by the British in November of 1776 and thrown in jail. While in jail, he received harsh treatment and poor rations for months on end. Eventually, he recanted his support of the Declaration of Independence and swore his allegiance to King George III in order to regain his freedom. But when he made is way back to New Jersey in December of 177, he swore is loyalty to his home state of New Jersey!